Monday, July 5, 2010

Day 6 AM: Big Bend - Sinking In!!

June 27th in the morning, it was another nice day. But also there had been storm (with or without hail) during the night time. Park waters remained the same.

I went to Big Bend, just a mile down stream from Madison Junction. Unlike past two mornings, I was assembled with full of PMD and White Miller caddis patterns. At 8:00am, White Miller were all over the water and trout were eager to take them!!
All I needed was this deadly combo again, X caddis + Nick's Soft-hackle in White Miller.

Both of these were taken either on surface, subsurface, and while swinging. I hooked a lot and lost a lot but it was just as good as the morning of 26th.

Then only one accident of this trip happened. Much milder case than accidents before though. Big Bend has the same river bottom structure as the section below. It's with full of drop-offs, mounds, and weed banks. But the river width at Big Bend is narrower than the section below, hence deeper (concentrated so to speak).

As I wanted to change my tippets and flies, I wanted to go back to the bank. I was standing on the weed bed in the middle of the river. The weed bed by the bank was only 10 feet away so I thought it was easy to cross. But it happened to be it was a 5-foot deep hole!!!! Because Madison in this section is not slippery or fast, I didn't fall in but sucked water into my wader while struggling to cross......... I barely made it. Fortunately also, this section of Madison is very warm as in Firehole and Gibbon. I walked back to my truck uncomfortably and stripped off. My tops and pants were bearable to keep but wader and socks needed dried. Thanks to mild breeze and the Sun, they got dried quickly. Meanwhile, I was sitting on my camp chair, pretending to read a book, waited for my shirts and pants to dry off a bit.........


At least I found that Big Bend would be a great place to fish with nymphs in the fall. I would just cast them to deep holes among weed-banks. Since Big Bend is narrower than the section below, it should be easy to locate and focus on each run and hole.

No comments:

Post a Comment