Sunday, March 29, 2015

Expo Update & End of March Report

NEWS: East Idaho Fly Tying Expo (http://srcexpo.com) updated their website with the latest information and I'm in the list of demonstration tyers.
Short version: I'm pretty much tying all day on both April 17th & 18th.
Long version: On Friday 17th, I will be doing a morning session 8-11AM and another one in the afternoon 3-6PM. On Saturday 18th, from 10:45 to noon, I will tying at a Tying Theater, followed by an afternoon floor session Noon-4pm. I will be hanging around banquette and raffles afterwards.
I will be demonstrating my original spring creek patterns. Also I bring Atlantic Salmon Fly frames. Certainly it can a good weekend for fishing. But you need some good flies, don't you? Come and see what experts do. Hope to see you there.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, my regular entries.
This past week was a mix of weathers and results. Early in the week, DePuy's Spring Creek was booked full so I got a good reason to push myself and explore other waters. It's no secret but here I just mention "Spring Creek Channel". It's a very unique stretch. I fished with a different method from those I apply at real spring creeks. "Lazy" I may call but it's always fun to do something different every now and then. I honestly thought "ah.......snag..........."
 WOW!!
 One of the biggest spring surprises in my notes!
 I kept on. "Ah.......this time it's gotta be a real snag............."

I caught only these two for a couple hours of fishing but they were worth 20 fish for me. I got hit by hales by the way as you could imagine from the sky.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back at DePuy's, I had one of the greatest afternoons. At one particular stretch of the creek, midge actions were very good. I'd add "very unique" as it requires special rigging and techniques. I seem to getting a hang of it.



 See what their menu was.

I then checked my favorite stretch for Spring BWO (baetis) hatch. They were up!!
 With my own trials and along customers' testimonies, my flies are working very well!!
I nonchalantly went back to the "midge spot".   I still saw some activities........
Always learning & observing to inspire new fly patterns.
Before I put the stomach pump back into my vest pocket, I noticed something still on it. I was able to capture this moment!!

Here's the final shot!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And today, Sunday, I hit the creek again. It was very nice to be outside. Protagonist was, again, midges. My new idea/design was immediately approved!
Once I figured out the "depth of water column" that they were feeding, I started to get lots of actions.
 Sage SLT at work!!
This is was a very strong brown which looked like already in a summer shape!!
Something else was also hatching.......
Then, I hooked into something that dashed and took all of my slack line!! I immediately worked with the reel.
Big!! But also, rather, THICK!! - one of the largest and the most memorable trout (brown & cutt combined) caught during the hatch fishing - small fly and 6X.
And then I had another big surprise..........
Rocky Mountain Bonefish, AKA, Yellowstone Grayling! The BIGGEST I ever caught during the hatch fishing!
Another thick one
Then another thick rod-bender!!!!
Gratifying!!
I believe this was a Cut-bow hybrid.
 Very strong!
 And then usual.


It seems like I will start the new week again on the River somewhere. Wait for the next update!

No comments:

Post a Comment