Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Mother's Day Caddis Report - 7 (Last!)

I was wrong in a good way. Yesterday had looked the best & last day to float the river. Warm and calm. Water temp hit around 50F. However, somehow I decided to take off. I had fished enough for sure. Weather was pretty much the same today. However, when I checked river info online, I was surprised that river condition remained the same. In spite of sunny weather of yesterday, water level didn't go up! I called my outfitter Dean if he wanted to go. Water clarity was great. Though we didn't encounter pods of bugs and rising trout, trout came up to surface to take our flies at likely spots. OK, today's hit fly was my brandnew caddis soft-hackle pattern in Mother's Day tone. It's named "Double Soft-Hackled Caddis".  It's already a success but I will test for other caddis species!! Then I can go details for you along with tying materials and steps!



What a gorgeous day to float Yellowstone River around town of Livingston! Some other anglers should be doing well with streamers but I have had lots of fun with these early season bugs and dry-flies. One can still be able to float tomorrow with some good fishing but I call for the early season and let runoff run!

No comments:

Post a Comment