Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Fall Flies - 2

Here are other flies that I love to tie on. These should be "lighter" to our eyes than those in my last post. As said there, if I agree to the "big fly = big fish" theory, why don't I carry only those heavy ones? Well, I want be a versatile fisherman to answer what mother-nature is calling for. Match the hatch, weather of the day, time of the day, where I fish, the list goes on but don't forget tips (very important)!! After all of these situation and flies make fly-fishing addictive for any type of fly-fishermen out there. And I like to tie 'em all and want to improve my tying all the time.

I've been watching Craig Mathews and John Juracek's "Fly Fishing Yellowstone Hatches" probably for the 50th time. They call the fall baetis hatch as the "major league hatch". It 's the last hatch of the season, water is the thinnest, and trout can be very finicky.
I will try Firehole for this hatch. And then as they do, I hope I can see and encounter in Madison too before I would step into slow and soft water right in front of me to chuck nymphs to the seam. Here are my copycats from their shop.
Baetis Sparkle Dun size 22. This specific deer hair for this fly (and bleached one) that I picked up from Blue Ribbon Flies is unbelievable! It makes my tying look better (I hope!) and is very visible almost all in any light condition and casting length. I made a thread body rather than using dubbings for thinner silhouette.



This one is called ICU Baetis. I like all the character that Zelon shows on this fly. I tied with both white and black post so I hope this must be very visible.

For the same reason, I like Zelon Midges too. I might need this because the area sounds very cold and the situation might be "winter midging".......



I have several subsurface flies for both baetis and midge. I would use some nymphs and larvas but also just swing some soft-hackles among hatches. You can call it I am cheating the situation and dry-fly casting!!


Talking about soft-hackles, my true obcession, now is the time to swing big soft-hackles in Madison both in and out of the Yellowstone Park.

My tie of Shakey Beeley from Blue Ribbon Flies looks "postable" in public, I hope!
The story of Shakey Beeley is one of the Western folklores to me. That's a big enough reason for me to tie this fly and keep in my fly box.



I came to know Jack Gartside. He is also obcessed, NO!, interested in soft-hackles. His description for the whole pheasant skin makes me shakey from excitement by just reading it. During my June trip to West Yellowstone, I ran into Blue Ribbon Flies and picked up the best in the market. I've been playing with it since then........Ooops, sorry I was about to get off the rail and into my soft-hackle stories.

Anyway here's the Soft-Hackle Streamer that I learned from Jack Gartside. Soft-hackle with marabou and phesant feathers and some flash as seen in most of streamer patterns. I bet this is the one that I swing then also strip it!! I think I would use this floating line but also I think it would be also interesting to trail this behind a huge streamer with a full-sinking line.

This is the same Soft-hackle Streamer but as for the color, it's my own idea. Yellow + brown and a touch of grizzly saddle hackle. Well, I confess I copied this from BRF's Baker's Hole Bugger, as seen on my previous post.



And finally, I'd like to introduce my own design briefly. There are some stories behind it and several flies I based on. I spent lots time on my bench (holding a whole pheasant skin!!). I felt I came up with something, at least neat enough to show others. All I need is approval from trout.




As of now, I am slightly nervous to run into the harsh weather. But typing these two posts, I've got my mind-set get ready for the trip. As always my trips have to be fun. Then do the best and all I can. I will enjoy whatever will happen, ideally with 6-pounder or 25-incher (practically 4--pounder and 20-incher!!??). Now I am gonna start to pack things to my truck.

No comments:

Post a Comment