Sunday, August 24, 2014

Late August Float

It's still been a great summer. Fishing remains some of the best in most area rivers. That's mostly because we are experiencing a really cool summer (eventually cold.........follow below).

Since the first two weeks of "iffy & muddy" conditions, Yellowstone River seems to have changed its mood. My first choice is still dry-flies but when the situation calls for I go deep. Whities are getting aggressive!!
River crossing..... They were smart enough to know the power of the River.

Found dead at the boat ramp......
Inspiration for every streamer enthusiast on Yellowstone River!!
Another deep water result!!

He's going to grow wide & heavy as the fall approaches.......
Oh, Here's an RIP.......
My vest watch that I bought at "Wally Mally" seven years ago finally ended its life. It was something like $14.95, give or take. I replaced the vest twice (= 3 vests and now I'm on the third one) but this watch had been serving for me.

Dry-fly Double!!

As I keep mentioning through this summer, it's been a cool and nice summer. But even though another week of August left, weather went a bit too far........ Some rainy fronts have been sitting around here and, believe or not, air temperature has dropped to 50s!! As of this typing in my house, I'm wearing a pair of fleece top & bottom...... Apparently we need waders on the River!!

As weather and water got cold, these guys seem being aggressive!!
Of course this foul weather is affecting river condition and fishing. I thought we have some more Hopper actions left........ But also it's affecting aquatic insect activities. If you are observant and a learning student of Yellowstone River, you can spot Fall Baetis and couple of different Drakes are hatching and fish are rising at certain spots/sections of Yellowstone River!!
After a long fruitless fishing, I spotted a series of insect hatch and a pod of rising fish!!
I was finally able to get my client into a serious action with a pair of dry-flies!! Fish seemed large and taking his line into the heavy current. I advised him to follow along........
 Gotcha!!
It was a fine 'Stone 'Bow!!
On a tiny dry-fly. What was all of our effort of stripping and chucking heavy artillery for.....?
BTW, this was the clarity......... At least warm enough to stick our hands into......
Weather forecast is calling a return of summer next week.......I hope so........
Then we gotta learn the summer fishing again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment