Saturday, October 31, 2015

October Summary - Fall Runners

Originally, I was thinking to fish today, Oct 31st, then would update blogs on Nov. 1st. However, there's a "wind advisory" that shouldn't be taken lightly. Yesterday I had enough and I know that wouldn't be good for fishing BWO = baetis hatch and trout rising actions...... But then, I have accumulated so many pictures to show and stories to tell!! So here they are!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Living in one of the greatest fly-fishing destinations, there are several streams that are open year around and I can go out fishing any time of year. I do consider regulations but I don't really get emotional about "opening-closing". The only opening day I'm anxious for is, as it has been, October 15th on which Winter Pass at DePuy's Spring Creek starts!! Another 6-month of action-packed season has begun. I greeted with other regular fishers who became friends.

That what I've been busy for. As of today, I fished 14 days since Oct 15th. I fished for two important subjects: fall-run trout and fall baetis hatch. Each needs be reported separately like fishing method is different. Besides, much less confusing for me to write and readers to read!

Let's start with how I did with fall-run trout. Did I get "The ONE"?
This is hard to predict or to conclude (of course, not yet) as this activity is related to Yellowstone River, which has been "funny" all through summer (low-water but cold, etc., etc., .......).
Every season is different, that's for certain.........

Following pictures are pretty much in a chronological order.
On Oct 15th, the opening day!, I forgot my camera........ So, for the first time, I used my i-phone! My phone is protected with the water-proof case, however, we'd better be careful with the loss........

Not bad for the opener!
 A bit tricky selfie with i-phone!
 Rainbows are also coming in to the creek, being colorful, fat, and sassy!

 Sparkle Crane Larva!!

A nice cutthroat was also on Sparkle Crane Larva!
 One of my neighborhood fishermen, Les, snapped a pic of me and commented "I need a pack-mule". Perhaps so........ Even when I'm fishing on my own, it's pretty much like I'm guiding....... It's imprinted.





 This fall, relatively large Yellowstone Cutthroat are still hanging in the creek and acting just like browns and rainbows. This is quite a surprise. Again, every season is different.

At one of  overlooked spots, I hooked into a hefty rainbow!! From the color = very silver and the it fought, I can strongly guess it must have been a fresh-runner from the river!

 This one was perhaps an inch larger than those above and I took it on "swing"!
 Then, in the morning of Oct 25th, I finally got a big tug for the first thing in the morning!!

 This marks my 4th largest trout caught from DePuy's.
This was on Spruce Prince!
Right after, I had another big tug!! This time, it seemed to be on Mr. O-O (October-Orange), trailed behind Spruce Prince.

 Not as large, but a very nice and respectable size rainbow!!
On the swinging Coyote!!
Streamers induce vicious bites too!!
I was equally surprised by the take, as he had been, as I was just "stripping" in and didn't expect much......... Very nice fall color!!  

 More rainbows are coming in and some are developing more colors.

I'm NOT concluding anything yet. I still pursue big ones through November!!
Baetis report follows next.............

No comments:

Post a Comment