Saturday, February 25, 2012

Patience & Observation

Today, it turned out to be a real winter-like day. WSW wind was blowing over 35mph. However, I had to go fishing to DePuy's in order to pursue my mission. Like last week's report, I was into nymphing with trial flies but it was very slow. I'd say trout's behavior & lies have been very finicky. Almost 1pm, when I was eating a Snicker's Bar for lunch, snow started to fall steadily.  Now that reminded me of typical fall-fishing situation for aggressive brown trout. These are hearsay but nobody can deny; 1. trout become less shy on cloudy & overcast days, 2. nasty weather causes some internal aggression within trout. I started to pitch a sculpin trailed with an egg. Yet my fishing tactics was dead-drift, slow retrieve, and slow swing. Rainbows haven't actively started spawning yet so I was looking for resting lies, which I already knew from fall-run brown trout. At the very end of drift, I finally felt a huge tug since when?...........


 Gotcha!! You see what he took......

 A Nice 18-inch buck was safely released.......


Regardless of its size, I always enjoy when browns bite aggressively on sculpin!! At the very end........


I also had two relatively large hook-ups but gone in a few seconds.
My patience & observation & versatility paid off today. I'm positive the creek is getting hotter day by day, playing along with weather. I will keep my eyes & mind open and report spring hatches (baetis & midges) and spring-run rainbows!!

However, tomorrow will be a designated sleep-in & DVD-watching day away from jobs......The second complete day-off of February as I had the same in January.........Very busy winter! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment