Sunday, October 13, 2013

On The River Before Winter Pass

Fall break has ended!!............with catching a bad cold...............

I've just got back to water after some other stuffs to do (like my last post) and personal matters. I am still expecting more guided trips with clients who are interested in fall fishing with spring creeks and are eager to fish hard under cold weather and pursue some of the BIGGEST Trout of the year!! If not..........it's OK. I just fish hard on my own and keep all BIGGEST Trout to myself.

As I wrote at the very end of my last post, I signed up for Winter Pass at DePuy's Spring Creek (www.depuyspringcreek.com). Yes, 3 SEASONS in a row!! I know the creek has already been in the fall mode. What I've learned and experienced during the past two seasons has been reported here in this blog and published at Fly Anglers OnLine (www.flyanglersonline.com) as some of you already know. I should learn and experience more from the creek for this upcoming season and will invent and publish more new flies.

One more thing that I have learned during past seasons is "once I start fishing the creek, I can't go fishing to (can't think of) other waters!! Even Our Mighty Yellowstone nearby!! Yellowstone River is arguably the most attractive river to fish for huge brown trout and Blue-Wing-Olive hatch in the fall. So, I decided to check several sections and accesses before Winter Pass and in order to get my body & sense back into shape!!

Hi Cutty!

Rainbows are getting strong as if they are the ones to spawn soon!! No......they must be already excited about munching on eggs!!

The usual suspect.........

I've just found my own sweet Winter spot..........

Cheeks are turning red for being shy? Slightly "kyped" like browns LOL........

Fall Baetis hatch can be excellent at certain spots of the River!! 
As always, I pumped the stomach of this little Cutty..............I lost my words!!
This cutty was "Beetle-Mania", which sounds out of season, who was actually regurgitating more on its throat!!
 Later on, I caught another Cutty just about the same size (rest were bunch of Whities on dry!!). This one (no picture) contained what would be expected.
Closer look.......
Much closer look...........See there was a relatively large flying ant..........

Back to my tying bench, here my new favorites and addictions!! STONFO bobbin is a very comfortable and reasonably-priced product. It just fits right on my palm and fingers!! Then Veevus Threads are probably the newest and the best thread right now on the market!! As you can see, recently I'm using a lot of 12/0 and 16/0. They are very strong and wouldn't flare badly. As you would imagine, I'm tying lots of Fall BWO and Midge patterns, size 20 & smaller, but also I use these threads to larger flies every now and then. I'm not sure if these are sold directly from manufactures to individual customers (probably not.......). Find your local fly-shops that dealers with Hareline products. They should be able to help you out!!

One more hard-to-get exotic material for Atlantic Salmon Flies; Goose shoulder custom-dyed to imitate Florican Bustard!!
Then MUCH harder-to-get exotic material; Kori (Speckled) Bustard!! These are, along with many more goodies!!, purchased from Feathers MC (www.feathersmc.com). Those of you who are interested in Atlantic Salmon Flies and exotic materials, check and contact the site!!

Then back to guiding!! I conducted a trip for Montana Troutfitters with late-season clients!
We first kick-seined and found out what we would capture........
Based on our observation, we selected right flies and..........




Well, it's been a lengthy post in a while!! Probably I have had much more things going on with me that I thought to myself!!

No comments:

Post a Comment