Thursday, May 27, 2010

Favorite River - Gibbon River in Yellowstone National Park

==========================================================
My young friend/co-worker, Corey, has got over the appendicitis surgery and recovery and got back to work!! I can finally rest my arm from cows. Last month, as I posted for a couple of times, I wrecked my truck in Livingston, got a light case of whip-lash, picked up a bad case of flu, and got hit by pollen allergy. I guess we all appreciate how happy it is just being normal (in this case staying healthy).
==========================================================

Meanwhile my casting arm has been a bit spoiled. And now I am really heading to Yellowstone National Park in three weeks. I would post about my plans, flies, and what I expect later, but here's one of waters in my mind that I will definitely visit, Gibbon River.
I'd like to quote about Gibbon directly from Craig Mathews' book, The Yellowstone Fly-Fishing Guide (only one book you need when visiting Yellowstone Park as my review says).
"The Gibbon River has it all: meandering meadow stretches with deep undercuts inhabited by big browns, riffles with rambunctious rainbows, pockets holding voracious brook trout, and secluded pools hiding the elusive grayling".
During my trip in late June last year, I fished here one afternoon and one full day for the first time. Though my experience is only like this so far, I'd like to make a comment about this river. It is overlooked!! even by anglers fishing on that day!! I can think of several reasons. First, Madison and Firehole get more attention due to their fame and easy accesses. Second, one has to make a long walk from the parking. Third, it is a bit wilder than Madison and Firehole.
I hit a very good caddis hatch. My favorite was a X2 (Improved X Caddis).
And I trailed with Nick's soft-hackle. This fly is amazing. It caught on the surface before swinging and while swinging. When I saw surface rises on this one, the flush and silhouette of X2 let me know the take. A deadly combo.

I caught a 5-inch brookie for the first time in my life!!

I caught a few 12-inchers. They were very nice especially with my 4-wt 8-ft rod.

At the end of the day, I caught a nice fat 13-incher. Over all, I think trout in Gibbon look larger than in Firehole, instead population might be less. And it might be a different strain. Gibbon browns have less spots and colors than those in Firehole and Madison.

So, I will make hikes for a day or two to Gibbon. But also, I heard a local tip from a guide. There does exist resident monsters up to 10-lb???? I actually believe it. Probably so is at the Firehole. They both are nutrient waters with lots of great trout habitats. There can be some monsters that do not rise to dry-flies as most of anglers like to fish. I'll find more.

No comments:

Post a Comment