Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Debut as a Commecial Tyer

Snow and cold fronts are coming in. I'm learning how to make a fire quickly in a wood stove in my house without smoking entire house. I'm getting better day by day.

Today, I made money (just little a bit) for the first time with my fly tying. As I was looking for what to do for the rest of the year other than breeding cows in spring and early summer, I have been knocking on doors of fly-shops in Livingston, Bozeman, and West Yellowstone to see if I can tie flies for them and sell my own designs.
Reading magazines and being a good customer, I kind of already know about fly-tying industry. Some shops tie their own flies and promote them, other shops simply rely on flies that are tied cheaply in foreign countries. The latter is getting stronger and American tyers are losing the competition. But there are always people and shops who appreciate enthusiasm and new designs.
I sold my own Coyote (full name: Coyoted Pheasant Soft-Hackle) as the debut of me being a commercial tyer at a shop in Bozeman. The fact that my own design was the first one to sell made me really happy.
Here's the top view of my Coyote.
I have a tying order like this for next year.


I will have more orders for 2011 soon. Fly tying can't sustain me to make living but it's quite fun so little a bit of money is really enough and it keeps me busy during the winter.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you!
    I'd love to swing large soft-hackles as Shakey Beeley did in Madison in the Park.
    I hope you like my Coyote.

    ReplyDelete