Saturday, October 1, 2011

DePuy's with Master Angler

Today, I was super fortunate to go fishing with Montana's Master Angler himself Tom Travis. He's been guiding the area before I was born!! We went to DePuy's. DePuy's can be one of the toughest and the most diverse spring creeks in the area. Tom gave me some fine tune-ups for the creek along with some other guiding skills.
As for catching, we saw sparse yet good hatches and rises but I screwed up hook-sets!!

Learning & Observation, Tom emphasized those two words. I think I'm in a right direction. Though I'm a rookie guide, I'm surrounded by good waters and great people here in Livingston. If I forget these two words, that would be when I quit guiding or even fly-fishing and fly-tying as well.


Someday soon, I hope I will be good enough to call each duck and trout with their first names!!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like time well spent with great company as well. It's amazing how much can be learned from some one who has been doing it for so long. Thanks for sharing. Tight Lines

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I can't emphasize what I learned from the Master though we spent only a few hours. I'm buying a winter-pass for DePuy's so I can be a better guide. I'll be out fishing as much as I can in the middle of winter.

    ReplyDelete