Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Downtown Surprise

Today was really a mixed bag of weather.  It was cold and windy in the morning, winds died down as storm came in, and when I got ready to go fishing, it was sunny!! I wanted it to be cloudy, shower, and not windy. I got out anyway. The other side from Mayors Landing is my favorite spot for both streamers and dry-fly fishing. Streamer got NO actions at all under the bright condition or there wouldn't be any trout. As I was about to give up, it started to rain and blow some winds. And I started to see some rising trout. They must have been on Baetis, but I still saw Epeorus.

I went back to my truck and rigged up a 5-wt with Baetis Sparkle Dun.

I played with some little ones with "set-to-the-rise" technique. But this time I was more like "set-to-the feel"!! I had actually missed one big tug before this so this time I set the hook tight as I felt the tug. I noticed it would be bigger than I expected. All I wanted was 10 to 12-incher for stomach samples. It was a nice 17-inch rainbow!!

I guess I played a bit too hard........

This is why we Livingston guides and anglers love 'Stone. Nothing going on with streamers but small dry-flies bring large trout on surface and sometimes vise versa; no actions at all but one "CHUCK" of streamers brings trout of the year!! We hope we have one more month before frozen!!

2 comments:

  1. Great looking Bow and nice looking flies. Tight lines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks TM,
    I reminisce only two days ago as I had a poor day today. Nothing to post....

    ReplyDelete